Sally Angharad Booth
- Email: email@example.com
- Thesis title: Working title: The role of machine learning in colour forecasting
- Supervisors: Professor Stephen Westland, Kaida Xiao
I am a first year PhD student with my own design consultancy, exploring colour trend forecasting and its use in fashion, textiles, interiors and architecture. I have an MA in Textiles from the University of Huddersfield and a BA Hons in Textile Design from the University of Leeds. I have 6 years teaching experience at undergraduate level, delivering trend, design, and colour related modules to fashion students. I also deliver guest lectures to students on various design related degrees, sharing my industry experience as a colour trend consultant and trends editor. I worked for 5 years at an international trend consultancy prior to establishing my freelance business. For the past 8 years I have worked with clients to establish new collections, create trend tools, as well as providing research and curation for trade events.
This varied background of design and research links to my current interests into a future model for trend forecasting, which I hope to drive my PhD topic. Working with external companies gives me insight into how trend information is used, and this will enhance the direction my current research takes. I have previous experience working with companies including Camira Fabrics, BeautyStreams, Caesarstone, RAL, Panasonic and L’Oréal. I have also curated and managed design and trend features for trade fairs such as Surface Design Show, The Flooring Show, London Stationery Show and New Designers, One Year In. I continue to write about colour and trend forecasting, regularly contributing to MIX Magazine, the design and trend publication of Colour Hive.
My current research interests include:
- the role of machine learning in colour forecasting
- how trend information is used and its accuracy
- consumer-driven colour trend forecasting methods
- consumer behaviour and its influence on trend predictions
- a sustainable approach to colour trend forecasting
- MA Textiles, University of Huddersfield
- BA (Hons) in Textile Design, University of Leeds