Placement students share their experience
Level 3 students on the School of Design's Year in Industry courses recently returned to deliver presentations to fellow students, sharing their experience of their placements.
The presentation sessions took place over three days and were attended by current level 1 and 2 students who are considering a Year in Industry as part of their course. The students who attended found the sessions really helpful to gain an insight into what completing a placement is like and what to expect. It was also great inspiration for level 1 and 2 students as well as a chance to celebrate achievements with tutors.
We asked the Year in Industry students about their experience so far. Amy Cross, BA Textile Design student who is working as a Garment Technology Intern at women's fashion company Hush said "I think the skills I have learnt will be easily transferred into any type of job I go to design or non-design. I have learnt a lot."
Some students are completing one year-long placement whilst others, such as Rebecca Lee, BA Art and Design, have undertaken multiple placements. Rebecca said: "I have had experience in all different types of job roles and environments so it has given me insight into all fields and how different parts of the industry works. I know now what I kind of job I want as a career."
Where our students work
Some of the placements undertaken by students this year include:
Art and Design
- Exhibition and Events Assistant at Manchester Craft Centre
- Illustration Intern at ABA Art Lab
- Graphic Design Intern at Johnson and Johnson
- Technical and Design Assistant at Monsoon
- Design Intern at O'Neill
- Design Intern at Regatta
- PR & Marketing Intern at French Connection
- Social Media Intern at Ted Baker
- Merchandising Intern at TU -Sainsburys
- Menswear Intern at ASOS
- Merchandising and Buying Intern at Nike
- Product Technologist at MIH Jeans
Graphic and Communication Design
- Digital Marketing and Design Assistant at Eureka
- Apparel Product Development Intern at Walt Disney
- Multi-Channel Design Assistant at River Island
- Photography and Styling Assistant at French Connection
- Embroidery Intern at Alexander McQueen
- Fabric and Trim Intern at Burberry
Find out more about the Year in Industry in the School of Design.