- Position: Teaching Fellow in Arabic and Islamic Studies
- Areas of expertise: Medieval Jewish, Christian and Islamic theologies and philosophy; Islamic Studies; Qur'anic Studies; Middle Eastern History, Islamic History and Civilization; Radical Islamist movements.
- Email: A.B.Shaikh@leeds.ac.uk
- Location: Michael Sadler Building Michael Sadler Building
I completed by undergraduate degree in Arabic and Islamic Studies at the University of Leeds in 2001. In the same year I commenced my MA in Qur'anic Studies and completed my studies in 2003.
Between 2006–2011, I studied for a PhD in Comparative religion specifically focussing on the notion of creation from a medieval and modern perspective within the Abrahamic faiths.
I am a regular media contributor who has appeared on Sky TV, BBC radio and France24. I am also a feature columnist for Spanish newspaper based in Madrid.
- Teaching Fellow in Islamic Studies at the University of Leeds Arabic and Middle Eastern Studies
- Leeds for Life Personal Tutor
- Shaikh, A.B. (2017) Unity, Prophecy and Eschatology in the Abrahamic Traditions Noor Publications, Dusseldorf.
- Shaikh, A.B. (2011) ‘Medieval and Modern Concepts of Creation in the Abrahamic Faiths’, Lincom Europa Munchen Germany ISBN 9783862880966. LINCOM Cultural Studies 06. 302pp.
- Shaikh, A.B. (2011) Medieval and Modern Concepts of Creation in Judaism, Christianity and Islam with reference to the tenets of faith, PhD Thesis University of Leeds
- Contributed to Hill, D.J and Whistler D (2013) The Right to Wear Religious Symbols, Palgrave Macmillan
- Shaikh A.B. 2011) Science and Religion at the Crossroads: Conflict and Conciliation. In Journal of Interdisciplinary Research on Religion and Science, volume 1, issue 9, (University of IASI, Romania), pp.43–61.
- Raja, I, Dowson, R. Shaikh,A.B, Al-Hadary, T. (2021) A Discussion of Relevant Religious Teachings from Islam and Christianity to the Covid19 Crisis. International Journal of Religion. Volume 2, number 1, pp.71–86
- Al-Otaibi, N, Cohen, I, Dowson, R, Raja, I, Shaikh, A.B. (2023 forthcoming) Religious Festivals in the Age of “Lockdown” and “Social Distancing”: A Comparative Study of Easter, Passover, Rama Navami, Vaisakhi and Eid, in Pandemics and Tourism: The Impacts of Epidemics and Virus Outbreaks in the 21st Century (under consideration)
- Raja, I.A, Shaikh, A.B. (2021) British Muslims and the Rise of Ethnic Media in the Digital Age. A Case Study of 5Pillars. Global Media Journal. Vol.19:42, pp.1–7.
Chapters in Books
- Raja, I.A, Shaikh, A.B. (2019) Digitalised Ethnic Press and the Representations of British Muslims in the Wake of the 7/7 Bombings: The Case Study of Passion Islam in Yu, S and Matsaganis, M. (eds) Ethnic Media in the Digital Age. Abingdon, Routledge, Part 1, Chapter 5, pp.57–65.
- Shaikh, A.B. (2023) Experiencing Ramadhan in a Covid19 World. ( forthcoming).
- Shaikh, A, (2017) Oriental Neighbours: Middle Eastern Jews and Arabs in Mandatory Palestine. In Journal of Modern Jewish Studies 18:3, 390-391, DOI: 10.1080/14725886.2019.1626058
- Shaikh, A (2019) Jews, Christians and Muslims in Medieval and Early Modern Times: A Festschrft in Honor of Mark R. Cohen, In Journal of Modern Jewish Studies (March 2017)
- Abeer Aldawsari (KSA): ‘The challenges of a mixed-Gender working environment facing women in Saudi Arabia’.
- Samy Al Khattab (EGY) Peaceful co-existence in societies from the past to the present; A critical analytical study in the light of the Qur’an and the Prophet’s Sunnah’
- Mariam Fargin (GB) Permissibility of Organ Donation in Islam (MAR) (completed)
Conferences and Talks
- The Global Islamic Caliphate Explained, Summer Series Lifelong Learning Centre University of Leeds 2015
- Islam: Beliefs, Practices and Traditions, Summer Series Lifelong Learning Centre, University of Leeds June–July 2014
- The Position of Muslim Women in the UK, South Gujarat University, Surat, Gujarat, Republic of India December 2013 (Invited)
- The Role of Interfaith work in the United Kingdom, Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh UP December 2013 (Invited)
- The Impact of Islamic Law on Modern Western Societies, University of Leeds November 2013
- Islam and the Challenges of Modernity, Summer Series Lifelong Learning Centre University of Leeds, 6 June–10 July 2013
- Confronting Anti-Semitism & Islamophobia: an exploration of their socio-historic and theological roots & similarities', Joseph Interfaith Foundation in conjunction with Leeds University Islamic Society, 28 November 2012.
- AHRC/ESRC Workshop Religious Symbols and Discrimination, University of Liverpool, 25–26 May 2012.
- ‘Dialogue, Tolerance and Mutual Understanding in Judeo-Christian and Islamic Traditions’ University of Leeds Lifelong Learning Centre Al-Hikmah Centre, Batley, November 2011.
- The Qur’ān: Peace and Morality. Paper presented at the conference analysed the concept of creation and the presentation of this theme in the Bible and the Qur’ān, University of Leeds, December 2003.
Memberships of Organisations
- Secretary of North Kirklees Interfaith Council (2012–2015)
- Consultant at Quills Consultancy (Diversity, Engagement and Funding), Nuneaton, Warwickshire.
Part of the steering committee for the new AHRC-funded network, ‘Philosophy and Religious Practices’ organised by the Department of Philosophy at the University of Liverpool, the Department of Religious Studies at the University of Chester and the Department of Philosophy, Theology and Religious Studies at Liverpool Hope University in partnership with local religious organisations.
Foreign and Commonwealth Office ‘Projecting British Muslims’ Delegation to India 13–17 February 2012. I visited Calicut, Deoband and New Delhi as part of UK Muslim delegation to foster co-operation and mutual dialogue with Muslims in India.
Foreign and Commonwealth Office/ UK High Commission in India delgation to Gujarat February 2013. I visited Muslim educational establishments and non-governmental (NGO’S) institutes in Vadodra, Ahmedabad, Surat.
Racism at Yorkshire CCC
Azeem Rafiq Race Row Yorkshire CCC
- Crowd protest outside Headingley Stadium over Azeem Rafiq racism row
- Yorkshire cricket racism: Former official says other counties are having 'the same problem' as fans call for further resignations
Batley Grammar School and the Prophet Muhammad Cartoon Controversy (Interviews appeared in Press Association, BBC, ITV, Independent) and across global media news outlets in print, online and broadcast media.
- Tommy Robinson and the editor: how a newspaper sows division where Jo Cox died September 2nd 2018
- France 24 'Syria UNESCO Palmyra world heritage site under ISIS threat' 15th May 2015 La Razon Internacional 15 May 2015.
- Un ejemplo para los Arabes, La Razon Internacional 30 March 2015
- Interview with Sky Sports 'Cricket in the Community' Mount Cricket Club 5 May 2013
- BBC Asian Network radio interview ‘Twenty years on from the Gujarat Riots’ February 2012
- Scholars from Britain interact with Students, The Hindu, 14 February 2012
- British Muslims in state to study communal harmony, Times of India edition, 14 February 2012
- BA Arabic and Islamic Studies
- MA Islamic Studies
- PhD Abrahamic Religions
- Fellow Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
- 2010 – ARAB 1030 (Introduction to Arab/Islamic Civilisation)
- 2011 – ARAB 1170 Studying the Middle East: Culture, Politics, Religions and Societies ( co-teach on module with colleagues)
- 2016 – ARAB 2190 Global Jihad: From Taliban to ISIS (Contributor)
- 2019 – MODL 3110 Final Year Project
- 2019 – MODL 3300 Dissertation
- 2019–2021 – ARAB 5005M Dissertation in Middle Eastern and Islamic Studies
- 2019–2020 – ARAB 5060M Debating the Middle East
- 2020 –2022 ARAB 1150 Early and Medieval Islamic History
- 2021 – ARAB 1015 Arabic for Beginners
- 2021 – MODL 3600 Material Cultures and Cultures of Consumption (Contributor)
- 2021 – 2022 MODL 1070 World Histories (Contributor)
- 2021 – FOAR 3100 Religion and Violence (contributor)
- 2022 – ARAB 2066 Palestine and Israel Conflict (Module convenor and contributor)
Research groups and institutes
- Arabic, Islamic and Middle Eastern Studies
- Arabic, Islamic and Middle Eastern Studies