Opposite: Poems, Philosophy and Coffee
- Date: Wednesday 8 May 2019, 19:30 – 23:00
- Location: Off-campus
- Cost: The event is free but we'll be taking donations for The Leeds Fund.
Book launch for Opposite: Poems, Philosophy and Coffee by Helen Mort and Aaron Meskin. Forthcoming in May 2019 from Valley Press.
What happens when poetry and philosophy connect?
Over coffee at Leeds' Opposite Cafe, award-winning poet Helen Mort and Professor of Philosophical Aesthetics Aaron Meskin set out to answer that very question.
They came up with an intriguing idea for a creative dialogue: Aaron would select essays from a range of philosophers who think and write about art and aesthetic matters, Helen would respond to them with an original poem, then the authors of the original papers would respond to the poems.
The result is an engrossing and multi-faceted series of conversations, which (like all the best coffee-shop discussions) take a variety of unexpected turns – topics discussed include the art of tattooing, graffiti, Belle & Sebastian, food, rock climbing and whether there's such a thing as bad art. With the project now collected in this unique, innovative publication from Valley Press, readers of poetry, philosophy, and even those new to both can join the authors for a coffee and a fascinating journey through modern thought.
On the night there will be:
- A poetry reading by Helen Mort (former Douglas Caster Creative Writing Fellow at the University of Leeds)
- Reflections by Eileen John (Co-Director, Centre for Research in Philosophy, Literature and The Arts, University of Warwick), Marion Thain (Professor of Literature and Culture, Kings College London), and Aaron Meskin (Professor of Philosophical Aesthetics, University of Leeds)
- Jazz from Skwid Ink (Tight Lines)
- Hip-hop DJ set from Greg Surmacz (Paper Tiger/Captain Over)
The event is free but we'll be taking donations for The Leeds Fund.
Sponsored by the Centre for Aesthetics and the University of Leeds Poetry Centre.
Tickets are free and you can get them here.
Location: Hyde Park Book Club, 27-29 Headingley Lane Leeds LS6 1BL