- 2nd in the UK for Communication and Media Studies (The Complete University Guide 2019)
- 2nd in the UK for Film Production and Photography (Guardian University League Tables 2019)
- 3rd in the UK for Communication and Media Studies (Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2019)
- 5th in the UK for Cinematics and Photography (National Student Survey 2018)
- 6th in the UK for Media and Film Studies (Guardian University League Tables 2019)
- 3rd in the UK for research power in Media and Communication (Research Excellence Framework 2014)
- 92% of our students find employment or further study within six months of graduating (Destination of Leavers from Higher Education 2016/17)
- 87% overall student satisfaction in the National Student Survey 2018
- 93% overall PhD student satisfaction in the Postgraduate Research Experience Survey 2017.
- 4th in the UK for Communication Studies (Global Ranking of Academic Subjects 2017 Shanghai Ranking)
- 11th in the UK for Communication and Media Studies (Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2018)
- 39th in the world for Communication and Media Studies (QS World University Rankings by Subject 2018)
- 71st in the world for Communication Studies (Global Ranking of Academic Subjects 2017 Shanghai Ranking).
- The University of Leeds achieved a gold rating in the Teaching Excellence Framework, the highest award possible
- We were named University of the Year 2017 by The Times and The Sunday Times' Good University Guide
- Faculty of Arts, Humanities and Cultures at Leeds has been ranked 51st in the world (QS World Rankings by Faculty 2018)
- The University of Leeds is ranked as a world top 100 university (QS World University Rankings 2019).
Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014
Every six years, the UK’s four higher education funding bodies undertake an exercise to measure the quality of research undertaken by UK higher education institutions (HEIs). The funding bodies use the outcomes to inform the allocation of their research funding to HEIs.
According to the Research Excellence Framework 2014:
- We are 3rd in the UK for research power in media and communication
- 82% of our research is ‘world-leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’
- 100% of our research is ranked ‘world leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’ in terms of impact.
The quality of our research and the funding it attracts means we’re able to invest in world-class facilities and academic staff who are actively engaged in cutting-edge research. As a result, our students will be taught by internationally renowned, inspirational academics working at the forefront of their fields.