Dr Yuchan Zhang
- Position: Lecturer in Graphic, Digital and Communication Design
- Areas of expertise: Signage design and wayfinding; Chinese-English bilingual typography; Communication and digital design; UX and UI design
- Email: Y.Zhang15@leeds.ac.uk
- Location: 2.11 Clothworkers' Building Central
- Website: Googlescholar | ORCID | Open Access REF
I obtained my PhD in typography and information design from the Univeristy of Reading in April 2022 before joining the University of Leeds as a Lecturer in November 2022.
I have internationl education background (in China, France, and the UK) in Graphic, Digital, and Communication Design.
I am interested in incorporating qualitative and quantitative methods to answer research questions. I am familiar with user-centred design approaches and gain from interdisciplinary collaboration. I am acting as a peer reviewer for journals such as Human Factors and Heliyon. My capabilities extend to digital technology innovation and statistical analysis methods.
My research interests lie in understanding how the design of public-facing information, displayed on both static and digital platforms, can improve the quality of the wayfinding experience in a multilingual environment with a highly diverse population. My doctoral research investigates how changing typographic presentation can improve the legibility of Chinese-English road signs, and how it impacts on users’ reading performance. My current research focuses on people in extreme stressful situations along the routes to their target destination which attempts to employ design principles and theories to improve wellbeing in wayfinding experiences under multilingual environments. My interest also extends to digital wayfinding (e.g., wearable devices and digital displays) and its role in supporting decision-making and problem-solving.<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://ahc.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- PhD Typography and Information Design, University of Reading, UK
- MA Visual Communication Design, School of Design, Jiangnan University, China
- BA Product and Exhibition Design, LuXun Academy of Fine Arts, China
- Exchange Student Graphic Design, École supérieure d'art et de design d'Orléans, France
I am currently contributing to graphic, digital, and communication design programme in the school. My international education background has enriched my experience of working with international students from several countries, with Chinese students forming the main bulk.