Dr Tang Tang
- Position: Lecturer in Sustainable Design
- Areas of expertise: Design for behavioural change; Design for health and wellbeing; Design for habitability; Design for sustainability; Transformation design; Creative design methods and approaches
- Email: T.X.Tang@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 3793
- Location: Room 1.66 Clothworkers Central
- Website: Playful cities | Googlescholar | Researchgate | ORCID
Lecturer in Sustainable Design.
I am passionate about creating meaningful design solutions for better health and social sustainability. My research interests include design for behavioural change, experience design, design for health and wellbeing, cross-cultural design and transformation design. I have extensive experience in promoting sustainable behaviour through user-centred and participatory design.
I hold a BEng and MSc in Industrial Design and I earned my PhD in Design for Sustainable Behaviour to reduce environmental impact at Loughborough University. My postdoctoral and consultancy work was supported by EPSRC, E.On and DECC, where I helped reduce domestic energy consumption. At the University of Leeds, I teach Sustainable Design modules and supervise BA, MA and PhD dissertations.
I am currently Principal Investigator on an EU funded PARTY project which aims at human development and reducing youth unemployment by increasing the involvement and inclusion of young people in service development in Africa, where we applied participatory and explorative service design. I am also Co-Investigator on the “Downsizing” project which explores the potential of using design interventions to promote healthy eating and portion control, funded by the BBSRC DRINC, UK.
I am a regular reviewer for academic journals including The Design Journal, Journal of Cleaner Production, Journal of Design Research, International Journal of Sustainable Engineering, Journal of Internet Marketing and Advertising, International Journal of Environmental Technology and Management and International Journal of Information Technology and Management, Appetite, Waste Management & Research and Routledge Taylor & Francis Group.
I specialise in user-centred design for behavioural change. My current research interests include design for healthy behaviour, design for emotion and wellbeing, design for habitability, cross-cultural design, the design of creative community-based participatory design and co-design methods for social sustainability.
I welcome PhD proposals relevant to
- Design for behavioural change: Creating behaviour change towards more sustainable and healthier lifestyles
- Design for emotion and wellbeing: Eliciting enjoyable, playful and meaningful experiences and improving wellbeing
- Design for habitability: Integrating human factors into the design process to enhance the emotional and visual experience in extreme environments
- Transformation design: Enabling effective interdisciplinary collaboration and cross-cultural communication
Email me directly with any enquiries.
2015-2019: Downsizing: using environmental prompts to understand healthy portion control and appropriate food servings in children, adolescents and caregivers (Co-Investigator), BBSRC DRINC https://gtr.ukri.org/project/92F25FB2-BAD3-475A-AC4A-53003C984020
2015-2019: PARTY: participatory development with the youth (Principal Investigator), EU Horizon 2020 MSCA-RISE https://www.ulapland.fi/EN/Webpages/PARTY/Project-info
2014-2015: Jamming: exploring the potential for enhancing a sense of community through collaborative design workshops, Ignite 2013/14 http://playfulcities.tumblr.com/playfulcityjam<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://ahc.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- PhD in Design
- MSc in Industrial Design
- Postgraduate Certificate in Learning and Teaching in Higher Education
- BEng in Industrial Design
- Member of the AHRC Peer Review College (Academic; International)
- Member of the Design Research Society
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Member of the Sustainable Design Network
I am teaching a range of sustainable design and design relevant modules for students at undergraduate, MSc and MA levels.