Sameer Naser Olimat
I am a PhD student of Translation Studies at the School of Languages, Cultures and Societies, Centre for Translation Studies, supervised by Dr. Bogdan Babych and Prof. Janet Watson. My PhD project approaches the phenomenon of euphemism in the Qur’an from two perspectives: corpus-based linguistic analysis and intratextual- and contextual-based translation.
- A PhD student at the University of Leeds, School of Languages, Cultures and Societies, Centre for Translation Studies, Leeds, UK, October 2015. Thesis title: "Euphemism in the Qur’an: Corpus-based Linguistic Analysis and Intratextual- and Contextual-based Translation".
- M.A Degree in English Language\Translation, Yarmouk University, Irbid, Jordan, January 2010. Thesis title: "An Analytic Study of Four Dictionaries Used by Jordanian Translators" GPA is very good 83%.
- B.A Degree in English Language and its Literature, Hashemite University, Zarqa, Jordan, January 2007, GPA is very good 3.26 from 4.
- Secondary (Tawjihhi) Exam, Al-Dulail Secondary School, Zarqa, Jordan, August 2003, Score: 92.4%.
Teaching and Work Experience
- A full-time lecturer of English and Translation, Language Center, Hashemite University, Zarqa, Jordan, September 2011 to September 2015.
- A full-time lecturer of English and Translation, English Department, Sabhha University, Libya, September 2010 to March 2011.
- A teacher of English, primary and secondary schools, Minstry of Education, Jordan, February 2007 to August 2010.
- A freelance translator and interpreter, international translation offices and agencies, February 2007 to date.
Conferences and Oral Presentations
- The 2nd International Conference "Languages, Linguistics and Technology: New Trends in Language Teaching, Interpreting and Translation", Italy, University of Bologna, Forlì Campus, 10-11 November 2017. The paper is entitled "Developing a Model for Euphemism Annotation in the Qur'an: A Corpus- based Approach".
- The Languages, Cultures and Societies Postgraduate Conference under the title “Cross-cultural Crossings” University of Leeds, UK 6th May 2016. The paper is entitled “Translations of Euphemism in the Holy Qur'an into English: A Corpus-based Study”.
- The 4th Durham Postgraduate Colloquium on Translation Studies under the title “Translation and Interpreting Studies at the Crossroad: A Dialogue between Process-oriented and Sociological Approaches” Durham University, Durham, UK 30 April 2016 – 1st May 2016. The paper is entitled “Translation of Euphemism in the Holy Qur'an into English: Context- and Intratextuality- oriented Approach”.
- The 5th AASRC 2013 International Conferences under the title “International Conference on Information Systems and Technology Management for Innovation and Regional Development” ISTMID2013 by American Academic and Scholarly Research Center, at Middle East University- Amman- Jordan 27-28 march 2013. The paper is entitled “Positive and Negative Impact of the Technology and Information Revolution Compiling the Dictionary” which is published in American Academic and scholarly Research Journal AASRJ. USA. 31\May\2013.
- Giving and attending many oral talks and presentations in the Arabic Language PGR and translation PGR groups, School of Languages, Cultures and Societies, University of Leeds, 2015 to date.
- Attending many seminars and talks related to Arabic language, Arabic-English translation, linguistics, computational linguistics, corpus linguistics, translation and culture, discourse analysis, book reviews, effective research writing and research methodologies in translation and applied linguistics.
- A full-day workshop under the title: “Enhancing Language Teaching”, School of Languages, Cultures and Societies, University of Leeds, Leeds, UK, 18 September 2018.
- A full-day workshop under the title: "Student Learning Outcomes (SQLs): Design and Measure", Center for Academic Quality Assurance at the Hashemite University and Jordan TEMPUS Office, Zarqa, Jordan 29 January 2012 to 31 January 2012.
- A Training Course under the title "Higher Education", Center of Academic Quality Assurance at the Hashemite University, zarqa, Jordan, 24 May 2012 to 31 May 2012.
- Olimat, S. N. 2018. Developing a Model for Translating Euphemism in the Qur’an: An Intratextual- and Contextual-based Approach. Advances in Language and Literary Studies. 9(6), pp. 101-111.
- Olimat, S. N. 2013. Positive and Negative Impact of the Technology and Information Revolution on Compiling the Dictionary. American Academic and scholarly Research Journal AASRJ. 5(3), pp. 205-210.
- Translation of the Holy Quran
- Translation (Arabic- English and English-Arabic)
- Applied Linguistics, Semantics and Pragmatics
- Computational Linguistics and Corpus-based Studies
- Terminology and Arabicization
- Lexicography, Dictionary-Making and Compiling
- Educational Research Methods
Research groups and institutes
- Centre for Translation Studies