Dr Vien Cheung
- Position: Associate Professor
- Areas of expertise: colour vision; colour science; colour imaging; colour reproduction; colour management; spectral imaging; colour design; colour and culture; textile technology; textile engineering; textile design
- Email: T.L.V.Cheung@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 5590
- Location: 2.06c Clothworkers' Building South
- Website: VC2@WLC | Scopus | LinkedIn | Googlescholar | Researchgate | ORCID
I hold an academic post as Associate Professor in Colour and Philosophical Studies. I have published over 100 refereed research papers, book chapters and book in the areas of colour (imaging, science, vision, design) and textile (technology, engineering, design).
I was awarded the Selwyn Award from The Royal Photographic Society (RPS, UK) in 2008 for my research in colour imaging and imaging technology, and a Silver Medal from the Society of Dyers and Colourists (SDC, UK) in 2011 in recognition of my contributions to education, the Society and in the interests of the allied industries.
I was also the recipient of the 2016 Service Award from the Society for Imaging, Science and Technology (IS&T, USA) for my contributions in organising IS&T colour conferences for over a dozen years. In 2021, I have been approved for Fellowship of the SDC.
I am the President of the International Colour Association (AIC) which has a global membership of 30 colour associations over five continents. I am active in charitable and educational organisations including The Colour Group (Great Britain) in which I am the Awards Officer and the Society of Dyers and Colourists where I serve on its Audit, Finance and Publication committees.
I am also the Associate Editor of the Journal of the International Colour Association (JAIC), Journal of Information Display (JID) and Color Culture and Science Journal (CCSJ). I am a Guest Editor for a Special Issue, “Advances in Color Imaging” for the Journal of Imaging which is now open for submissions until 1 April 2022.
I am a writer of the VC2 (weseetoo) prose on topics including existence, wellness, culture, value, universe, nature, environment and sustainable living practices.
My reflective essay Colour: its influence and impact to the way we live, contributes to the University of Leeds’ World changers: celebrating impactful research essay collection, explores how the power and subtlety of colour can shift our ‘black and white’ judgements into a more diverse and expansive perception of the world.
- Faculty of AHC Athena SWAN Self-Assessment Team Member
- School of Design Deputy Director of International Activities
- BSc (Hon) Textile Chemistry
- MSc Colour Imaging
- PhD Colour and Imaging Science
- Chartered Colourist (CCol)
- Fellowship of the Society of Dyers and Colourists (FSDC)
- International Colour Association (AIC)
- The Colour Group (Great Britain)
- Society of Dyers and Colourists (SDC)
- Society for Imaging Science and Technology (IS&T)
- The Korean Information Display Society (KIDS)
- Gruppo del Colore - Associazione Italiana Colore
- Tsinghua Art & Science Colour & Imaging Institute (TASCII), China
- White Rose College of the Arts & Humanities (WRoCAH) Creative Arts and Media Academic Subject Cluster
- Advance HE Race Equality Charter Panel