Dr Jim Brogden FRSA
- Position: Director of Practice Research
- Areas of expertise: Visual sociology and ethnography; social semiotics and multimodality; visual culture and communication; photography; landscape representation; poetics of space.
- Email: J.W.Brogden@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 3446
- Location: Clothworker's North Building
- Website: Twitter | LinkedIn
My research inhabits a broad area within visual communication culture, including: visual sociology/ethnography, social semiotics and multimodality, memory studies, photographic practice, with a particular interest in the contested notions surrounding landscape representation, collective memory, and place - identity. My approach to research is informed by a long, and varied career as a professional visual artist, a designer in television and music. I actively embrace intermediality/intertexuality in my practice research and critical writing to provoke new critical discourses.
Specific areas of research interest include:
- visual communications culture
- social semiotics and multimodality
- visual sociology/ethnography
- landscape representation(s)
- spatial poetics/politics
- critical research-led image-making
In relation to Ph.D. supervision, I'm particularly interested in supporting inter-disciplinary research projects.
I am a Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts.
A member of the International Visual Sociology Association
A member of The Open Spaces Society
- The development of "practice research" within the School, Faculty.
- International Visual Sociology Association
- Fellow Royal Society of Arts
- Open Spaces Society
My teaching roles include management and delivery on various modules across film, photography, media, and dissertation supervision.<h4>Postgraduate research opportunities</h4> <p>We welcome enquiries from motivated and qualified applicants from all around the world who are interested in PhD study. Our <a href="https://phd.leeds.ac.uk">research opportunities</a> allow you to search for projects and scholarships.</p>