Dr Matthew Lickiss
- Position: Associate Professor – Graphic and Communication Design
- Areas of expertise: Information Design; Communication Design; Typography; User-Centred Design; User Experience (UX) Design; Disaster and Health Communication Design; Multimodality,
- Email: M.Lickiss@leeds.ac.uk
- Location: 1.67 Clothworkers Central
I am an Associate Professor of Graphic and Communication Design, teaching and researching in the area of information design (see below for specifics).
Prior to joining the University of Leeds, I held permanent lectureships first at Brunel University London (Brunel Design School) and then at The University of Reading (Department of Typography & Graphic Communication).
- Programme Leader BA (Hons) Graphic and Communication Design
- Information and UX design. With specific focus on the areas of: data visualisation, design for decision making (especially in relation to understanding and responding to risk and uncertainty), design for the environment, and design for health. All of these research areas combine the need to communicate information in a way that is useful and meaningful to end users.
- Multimodal linguistics and visible language. This interest stems from my PhD research, examining how meaning is made in communications, especially how the visual and design elements of ‘documents’ contribute to or change meaning across multiple modes and platforms.
- PhD | Typography and Graphic Communication | University of Reading, UK
- MA | Information Design | University of Reading, UK
- BA | Graphic Communication | University of Reading, UK
I teach a variety of subjects within communication design, specialising in topics relating to including information design and user experience design, digital design and visual communications in general. I am year one tutor and generally deliver and design much of the first year core content in graphic design.<h4>Postgraduate research opportunities</h4> <p>We welcome enquiries from motivated and qualified applicants from all around the world who are interested in PhD study. Our <a href="https://phd.leeds.ac.uk">research opportunities</a> allow you to search for projects and scholarships.</p>