Dr Vien Cheung
- Position: Associate Professor
- Areas of expertise: colour vision; colour science; colour imaging; colour reproduction; colour management; spectral imaging; colour design
- Email: T.L.V.Cheung@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 5590
- Location: 2.06a Clothworkers' Building South
- Website: VC2@WLC | Scopus | LinkedIn | Googlescholar | Researchgate | ORCID
I completed my Bachelor's degree in Textile Chemistry at The Hong Kong Polytechnic University and subsequently went to the UK for my Masters (Colour Imaging) and PhD (Colour and Imaging Science) studies. Currently I hold an academic post as Associate Professor in Colour and Imaging Science at the University of Leeds. My research interests are colour vision, spectral imaging, colour reproduction and colour, all as applied to the art and design disciplines.
I am active in several professional bodies including the International Colour Association, The Colour Group (Great Britain), the Society of Dyers and Colourists (UK), the Society of Imaging Science and Technology (USA) and the Tsinghua Art & Science Colour & Imaging Institute (China). I am the President of the International Colour Association (AIC) and the Awards Officer of The Colour Group (Great Britain). Also, I am the Associate Editor of the Journal of the International Colour Association (JAIC), Journal of Information Display (JID) and Color Culture and Science Journal (CCSJ).
I was awarded the Selwyn Award from The Royal Photographic Society in 2008 for my research in colour imaging and imaging technology, and a Silver Medal from the Society of Dyers and Colourists in 2011 in recognition of my contributions to education, the Society and in the interests of the allied industries. I was also the recipient of the 2016 Service Award from the Society for Imaging, Science and Technology (IS&T) for my contributions in organising IS&T color conferences for over a dozen years. In 2021, I have been approved for Fellowship of the Society of Dyers and Colourists.
- MA Design Programme Leader
- Deputy Director of International Activities
- Faculty of AHC Athena SWAN Self-Assessment Team Member
- BSc (Hon)
- CCol FSDC
- International Colour Association (AIC)
- The Colour Group (Great Britain)
- Society of Dyers and Colourists (SDC)
- Society for Imaging Science and Technology (IS&T)
- The Korean Information Display Society (KIDS)
- Gruppo del Colore - Associazione Italiana Colore
- Tsinghua Art & Science Colour & Imaging Institute (TASCII), China
- WRoCAH Creative Arts and Media Academic Subject Cluster