Dr Anna Zoellner
- Position: Lecturer in Media Industries
- Areas of expertise: television, media production, cultural and media labour, documentary, ethnographic production research
- Email: A.Zoellner@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 5813
I joined the School of Media and Communication as Lecturer in Media Industries in 2011. I also have a professional background in film and television production and worked as researcher, assistant producer and production manager in independent documentary production in Germany and the UK for several years.
My research interests lie at the intersection of cultural/media industries, media production research, television studies, and critical cultural labour studies. In 2010 I completed my PhD thesis at the University of Leeds, which focuses on the development process of documentary programmes for television. Through ethnographic media production research applying participant observation and semi-structured interviews in the UK and Germany, the research explores the way in which production structures and their economic imperatives impact on the conditions experienced in independent production and the creation of new documentary texts.
Recent research projects include an international comparative study that examined the conditions and responses of local radio and television in a digital environment in the UK, US and Germany. I am currently working on a project that investigates producers' perceptions of professionalism in television production.
- Director for International Activities (since 2021)
- Academic Integrity Lead (2017-2020)
- Programme Lead MA Media Industries (2011-2018)
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
- PhD Creativity and Commerce in Independent Television Production
- MA Media and Communication, Cultural Science and Theatre Studies
- European Communication Research and Education Association (ECREA)
- International Association for Media and Communication Research (IAMCR)
- Media, Communication and Cultural Studies Assoication (MeCCSA)
I teach across undergraduate and postgraduate modules at the School of Media and Communication with a focus on media industries, critical labour research and academic skills. I am also the Academic Integrity Lead investigating suspected cases of academic malpractice and plagiarism at the School.<h4>Postgraduate research opportunities</h4> <p>We welcome enquiries from motivated and qualified applicants from all around the world who are interested in PhD study. Our <a href="https://phd.leeds.ac.uk">research opportunities</a> allow you to search for projects and scholarships.</p>