Developing Practice Research Symposium recording released
The Developing Practice Research Symposium is a partnership between the School of Media and Communication and the University of Southampton, Winchester School of Art and Design
A video has been released of first online practice research symposium between the University of Leeds, School of Media and Communication and the University of Southampton, Winchester School of Art and Design (WSA), which took place on Wednesday 29th March 2023 and convened by Dr Jim Brogden (SMC) & Professor Ed D’Souza (WSA), This was the first event, with a second to follow next year.
This symposium recording features a keynote introduction from Professor Sunil Manghani (WSA) on the current state of ‘practice-led research’ in the academy, and is followed by a series of inspiring presentations from ‘practice-led’ scholars from the School of Media and Communication.
To watch the Symposium please follow this link
Developing Practice Research Symposium topics:
- Introduction ‘practice-led research?’ by Professor Sunil Manghani
- Individual Presentations: School of Media and Communication
- Dr Alison Peirse ‘A Feminist Historiographical approach to Videographic Criticism’.
- Dr Jez Coram ‘The Black Prince: Expanded essaying as practice-led research’.
- Rafe Clayton ‘“Special Motives” within Practice-Based Research: Dialectics of Competency and Rigour for Innovative Filmmakers’.
- Dr Mick Schofield ‘Traversing protean landscapes: texts, subtexts and practice research questions’.
- Dr Miriam Kent “But what is it?”: Reflections on interdisciplinarity in creative practice research
- Dr Kris Erickson ‘Disciplined by the algorithm: What I learned by practicing photography on Instagram’.
- Responses to presentations Q/A & Final thoughts discussion.
Developing Practice Research Symposium #2
The second part of this symposium featuring practice-led researchers from the Southampton University will take place in the 2024 academic year.
For further information please contact Dr Jim Brogden, Director of Practice Research in the School of Media and Communication at: email@example.com