Dr Raquel Campos Valverde
- Position: Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Music Culture in the Age of Streaming
- Areas of expertise: Online musical culture, user experiences, music circulation and consumption, social media, streaming platforms, digital ethnography, Spain
- Email: R.CamposValverde@leeds.ac.uk
- Location: M3 Clothworkers' North
- Website: ORCID
I obtained my PhD from London South Bank University in 2019 with a thesis entitled Understanding Musicking on Social Media: Music Sharing, Sociality, and Citizenship. I hold a MMus in Ethnomusicology from the School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London, and a BHons in Sociology from Universidad de Granada, Spain.
Prior to joining the MUSICSTREAM project, I was a Lecturer in Digital Culture and Society at King’s College London. My first article Online musicking for humanity: the role of imagined listening and the moral economies of music sharing on social media has been recently published on Popular Music. Before completing my PhD, I was awarded the 2019 Andrew Goodwin Memorial Postgraduate Prize by the UK and Ireland branch of the International Association for the Study of Popular Music. I’ve also been involved in the development of online open-access academic publications Cambridge Encyclopedia of Anthropology (now Open Encyclopedia of Anthropology) and IASPM Journal.
My research interests lie at the intersection of Popular Music, Ethnomusicology, and Internet Studies, particularly concerning the user experiences of digital music in online environments. Having previously focused on music sharing and circulation in social media environments, my current research in the MUSICSTREAM project explores cultural inequality and musical taxonomies in music streaming platforms, and their effects on user experiences and musical cultures.<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://ahc.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- PhD in Arts and Creative Industries, London South Bank University
- MMus in Ethnomusicology, SOAS, University of London
- BHons in Sociology, Universidad de Granada
- International Association for the Study of Popular Music
- British Forum for Ethnomusicology
- International Council for Traditional Music