Dr Tom Tyler
I graduated in Philosophy and History from the University of Birmingham before completing an MA and PhD in Cultural Studies at the University of Leeds. I have taught at Wolverhampton University, Derby University, the University College of Ripon & York St John, Leeds Metropolitan University and Oxford Brookes University. I joined the School of Media and Communication at Leeds University in 2015.
Office hours: by appointment
- Admissions Tutor, BA Digital Media
I undertake research in three broad areas: the history of ideas, particularly different varieties of anthropocentric thought; animals, particularly their mistreatment both in theory and in practice; and videogames, particularly the values and roles that they offer players.
More details: http://www.cyberchimp.co.uk/research/
- PhD (Leeds)
- MA (Leeds)
- BA (Birmingham)
- Member of the Advisory Board, TRACE, University of Florida, March 2015 to present.
- Member of the Advisory Board, Centre for Human Animal Studies, Edge Hill University, October 2014 to present.
- Member of the Academic Advisory Board, Zooscope, University of Sheffield, September 2014 to present.
- Member of the Editorial Advisory Board, Animal Studies Journal, University of Wollongong, September 2014 to present.
- Associate Editor, Sloth, Animals and Society Institute, January 2014 to present.
- Member of the Vegan Society Research Advisory Committee, UK, July 2013 to present.
- Member of the International Committee, Human Rights & Animal Ethics Research Network, University of Melbourne, December 2012 to present.
I am on research leave during Semester 1 of 2018-19.<h4>Postgraduate research opportunities</h4> <p>We welcome enquiries from motivated and qualified applicants from all around the world who are interested in PhD study. Our <a href="https://ahc.leeds.ac.uk/research-opportunities">research opportunities</a> allow you to search for projects and scholarships.</p>