Dr Nancy Thumim
- Position: Postgraduate Tutor, Associate Professor in Media and Communication
- Areas of expertise: Feminist approaches to media and communication; Audiences; Mediation; Self-representation; Digital culture; Pleasure; Power; Media and the political; Participatory culture.
- Email: N.Thumim@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 1390
- Postgraduate Tutor
In my work I ask about the place of media in people's lives, exploring the constraints and opportunities shaping how particular groups and individuals get to speak, to be seen and to be heard in the contemporary moment. This has involved work on the representation of military storylines across media forms, on local news, on media literacy, on oral history in museums and on access media projects of various kinds. I have explored projects in which people have been invited to tell their own stories using digital technologies and other media forms, asking how such stories are mediated by technologies, by industries and institutions and by people’s own cultural contexts and expectations. I have also looked at understandings of the news; where and how people come to know what they know and to what extent they see themselves and their communities as adequately represented. At the moment, I am particularly focused on the complex relationships women and girls have with contemporary digital culture, considering pleasure and power relations as they are negotiated through interactions with media and cultural representations and spaces. In a recently completed project I worked with colleagues at Leeds Museums and Galleries and Huddersfield University and young women from Leeds to explore women artists' works on paper in the collections at Leeds Art Gallery.<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://ahc.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- International Communications Association (ICA)
- European Communication Research and Education Association (ECREA)
- Media, Communication and Cultural Studies Assoication (MeCCSA)
- Editorial Board Popular Communication: The International Journal of Media and Culture
- Editorial Board: International Journal of Cultural Studies
I teach across undergraduate and postgraduate modules in media and communication theory with a particular focus on theories in media and communication and audience studies.