Dr Miriam Kent
- Position: Lecturer in Film and Media
- Areas of expertise: popular media genres; feminist media studies; gender and representation; identity and the media; superheroes; transmedia; Marvel comics; graphic novels; adaptation; postfeminist culture
- Email: M.R.Kent@leeds.ac.uk
- Location: 2.17 Clothworkers' Building North
I joined the University of Leeds as Lecturer in Film and Media in 2022. I gained a PhD in Film Studies at the University of East Anglia in 2017, where I was a Lecturer in Film and Media Studies for two years, and there I taught a wide range of undergraduate and postgraduate modules in film and media analysis, feminist media studies and gender studies. Prior to Leeds, I was a Lecturer in Film Studies at the University of Essex.
My monograph, Women in Marvel Films (2021, Edinburgh University Press), reaches to film studies, comics studies, cultural studies and gender studies to make sense of portrayals of feminine identity in Marvel superhero films through a detailed critique of postfeminist culture. It is the first major study of portrayals of women, heroic and otherwise, in films based on Marvel comics from the 1980s to the present.
- Programme Leader - MA in Film, Photography and Media
My research is broadly about popular representations of gender, identity and feminism through the lens of both historical and contemporary superhero media texts. I am happy to work with prospective PhD applicants interested broadly in popular media genres, gender and identity in the media, popular feminisms and transmedia.
I am a creative practitioner and currently researching the relationship between comics and screen media through a creative-critical perspective. Beyond this, I am interested in creative practice as a transformative educational tool and frequently contribute to outreach and widening participation activities.<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://ahc.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- PGCert Higher Education Practice
- PhD Film Studies
- MA Film Studies
- BA (Hons) Film and Television Studies
- Fellow, Higher Education Academy
- Member, Comics Studies Society
- Member, British Association of Film, Television and Screen Studies