Dr Katharina Schmoll
- Position: Lecturer in Media and Communications
- Areas of expertise: voice, recognition, digital media practices, citizenship, ethnography, the everyday, Arab public spheres, gender, empowerment, modernities, Muslims in Europe, Morocco, MENA, political Islam
- Email: K.Schmoll@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 5817
- Location: 1.29 Clothworkers Building North
My research explores issues of voice, recognition, citizenship and gender with a focus on Muslims in Europe, Morocco and the wider Middle East. Specifically, I am interested in the role of everyday social media practices in strengthening agency, empowerment and social cohesion.
My current research project re-examines the concept of voice from a non-Western, community-oriented perspective based on my thesis findings.
I hold a PhD in Media Studies and an MA in Global Creative and Cultural Industries from SOAS as well as a BA in Politics and Public Administration from University of Konstanz in Germany.
I am the Reviews Editor of the Middle East Journal of Culture and Communication.<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://ahc.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
I teach undergraduate and postgraduate modules including:
Feminism, Identity and Media