Dr Jim Brogden
- Position: Lecturer in Visual Culture and Communications
- Areas of expertise: Visual sociology and ethnography. Visual culture and communication. Image-making and research-led photographic practice. Landscape representation(s) and the poetics of space.
- Email: J.W.Brogden@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 3446
My research inhabits a broad area within visual communications and photography, with a particular interest in the contested notions surrounding landscape representation, collective memory and place - identity. My approach to research, informed by a long, and varied career, both as a professional designer in print, television communications and academia, actively embraces intermediality/intertexuality to provoke new critical discourses.
Specific areas of research interest include:
- visual communications culture
- visual sociology/ethnography
- landscape representation(s)
- spatial poetics/politics
- critical research-led image-making
In relation to Ph.D. supervision, I'm particularly interested in supporting inter-disciplinary research projects.
I am a Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts.<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://ahc.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- International Visual Sociology Association
- Fellow Royal Society of Arts