EStages.UK. Spanish theatre in United Kingdom (1982-2019)
- Start date: 2019
- End date: 2023
- Funder: Marie Skłodowska-Curie (Individual Fellowship), Horizon 2020, European Commission. Grant agreement ID: 797942
- Primary investigator: María Bastianes
€ 183, 454.80
Partners and collaborators
University of Leeds, Central School of Speech and Drama, Cervantes Theatre of London.
The EStages.UK. (Spanish Theatre in the United Kingdom, 1982–2019) project has been designed to enhance the international status of Spanish theatre, providing a forum for dialogue and exchange between academia, schools, practitioners, and cultural managers.
This is achieved through three distinct strands:
- Reconstruct a history of Spanish plays performed in the UK with a special emphasis on the post-Franco dictatorship period. The research question behind the project was how Spanish theatre has / could fit in the UK context, following the model established by Christopher B. Balme of adopting an institutional approach, formulating an epochal set of beliefs and ideas related to theatre and its function within a given society.
- Providing a model for best practice through close collaboration with the first UK-based theatre dedicated to the staging of Spanish-language theatre in a bilingual format: the Cervantes Theatre (home of the Spanish Theatre Company).
- Creating new materials to promote and challenge the way Spanish theatre is studied in secondary and tertiary-level education in the UK.
For more information see the project website.