Dr Tom Tyler
I graduated in Philosophy and History from the University of Birmingham before completing an MA and PhD in Cultural Studies at the University of Leeds. I have taught at Wolverhampton University, Derby University, the University College of Ripon & York St John, Leeds Metropolitan University and Oxford Brookes University. I joined the School of Media and Communication at the University of Leeds in 2015.
- Programme Leader, BA Digital Media
I undertake research in three broad areas: the history of ideas, particularly different varieties of anthropocentric thought; animals, particularly their mistreatment both in theory and in practice; and videogames, particularly the values and roles that they offer players.<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://ahc.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- PhD (Leeds)
- MA (Leeds)
- BA (Birmingham)
- Member of the Advisory Board, TRACE, University of Florida, March 2015 to present.
- Member of the Advisory Board, Centre for Human Animal Studies, Edge Hill University, October 2014 to present.
- Member of the Academic Advisory Board, Zooscope, University of Sheffield, September 2014 to present.
- Member of the Editorial Advisory Board, Animal Studies Journal, University of Wollongong, September 2014 to present.
- Associate Editor, Sloth, Animals and Society Institute, January 2014 to present.
- Member of the Vegan Society Research Advisory Committee, UK, July 2013 to present.
- Member of the International Committee, Human Rights & Animal Ethics Research Network, University of Melbourne, December 2012 to present.