Dr Matthias Revers
- Position: Lecturer in Political Communication
- Areas of expertise: media sociology; political journalism; political communication; political polarization; speech norms and regulation; media populism
- Email: M.Revers@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 3618
- Location: 1.13 Clothworkers North
- Website: | Twitter | Googlescholar | Researchgate | ORCID
I am on career leave from April 2023 and a Visiting Professor at the University of Hamburg and you can reach me there at: firstname.lastname@example.org
I joined the University of Leeds in January 2018. Before that I was a postdoctoral researcher and lecturer at the Institute of Sociology at the University of Frankfurt and Department of Sociology at the University of Graz. I obtained my PhD in sociology from the State University of New York in Albany (SUNY-Albany) in 2014, where I focused on cultural sociology and social theory. I’m a Faculty Fellow at the Center for Cultural Sociology at Yale University and a former Fulbright scholar.
My previous research focuses on journalism and political communication. My book Contemporary Journalism in the US and Germany (Palgrave US) is a comparative ethnographic study of political reporters in the two countries.
I have published articles on journalistic professionalism, how journalists perform it, how it is affected by technological change, how Twitter in particular influenced spatial and temporal aspects of news making, on the adoption of technologies, and on the history of media sociology.
My current research encompasses several studies on political polarisation in contemporary democracies, including:
- the moral boundaries of speech (free speech/hate speech)
- the establishment, use, enforcement, breach, and battle against inclusive language (and political correctness)
- the mediated experience of political antagonism
- right-wing populist journalism
This research involves hermeneutic and computational methods of text analysis, survey experiments, and qualitative field research.<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://ahc.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- PhD Sociology
- MA Sociology
- BA Sociology
- Editorial board Cultural Sociology
I am involved in teaching journalism and political communication and PGR training at the School of Media and Communication.
Research groups and institutes
- Media Industries and Cultural Production
- Political Communication