Professor Stephen Coleman
- Position: Professor of Political Communication
- Areas of expertise: Political communication; citizenship; political performance; intersections between political and popular culture; political voice; democratic deliberation; digital politics; qualitative methods
- Email: S.Coleman@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 5872
- Location: 2.15 Clothworkers' Building North
I am a Professor of Political Communication at the University of Leeds. I have written ten published books and over 100 peer-reviewed journal articles.
My main research interests are:
- innovative methods of political engagement
- practices of citizenship
- political ethnography
- citizenship education and political literacy/oracy
- political efficacy
- political aesthetics, performance and rhetoric;
- literary and dramatic representations of politics;
- forms of deliberation and decision-making.
- digital politics
- health communication
Current research projects include:
- Speaking Citizens – a study of new forms of civic expression
- Communicating the Pandemic – a study in collaboration with the NHS, exploring communicative inequalities in relation to health security
- Exploring possible futures of liberal democracy
- Political mood stories
I teach undergraduate and postgraduate modules, including Communication Skills and The Ethnography of Speaking. I also contribute to the MA in Political Communication.