- Position: Lecturer in English for Academic Purposes
- Areas of expertise: EAP; EGAP; ESAP; Activity Theory; narrative methodology; digital transformation in education; teacher training and development.
- Email: L.Smirnova@leeds.ac.uk
- Website: Englada | Twitter | LinkedIn | Googlescholar | Researchgate | ORCID
I joined the university in 2021. Prior to working at Leeds, I worked as a Director of Studies in a private language centre in Moscow, Senior Academic English Teacher in two universities: Moscow School of Social and Economic Sciences, and in Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration, and as a Deputy Director of MA in Digital Transformation in Education in HSE University, where I developed the MA programme and launched it.
I have experience in designing modules for a range of BA and MA programmes, where I also have taught Instructional Design units for students of various departments in HSE University. One of my primary research interests is sustainable teacher development in integrating digital technology and well-being. I have published several articles in this area, and a book in collaboration with Peter Lang, an outcome of a 4 year study I conducted with experienced language teachers from two EdTech leading Moscow universities.
My scholarship interests lie in sociocultural research and its practical use in teaching EAP, language teacher training and development.
- Smirnova L. (2021). Exploring perezhivanie: a new tool for teacher development in the digital transformation in education. Peter Lang: Оxford.
- Smirnova, L. (2019). Integrating technology into the university language classroom: a study of complexities and perezhivanie in teachers’ experience. (Unpublished PhD thesis submitted for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy in Education). The University of Manchester.
- Smirnova L. (2022). (Ed.) Using Activity Theory in the Digital Transformation in Education. Uright: Moscow. In Russian.
- Smirnova L., Rasskazova T. (2023). The development of a reflective language teacher in Russia: from an apprenticeship to a dialogical partnership. In Cirocki A., Gao A., Wyatt M. (Eds) Developing Reflective ELT Practitioners through Teacher Education: Insights from Asian Contexts. Springer. in press.
Smirnova L. (2022). Theorizing the digital change in education. In Smirnova L. (Ed.). Using Activity Theory in the Digital Transformation in Education. Uright: Moscow, pp. 12–32. In Russian.
Smirnova L. O. (2020). Davydov’s Activity Approach for developing a MA in Digital Transformation in Education. In The School of Davydov: traditions and Innovations. FGBOY VOMGPPU: Moscow. In Russian.
- Smirnova, L. O., (2017). Teachers doing classroom-based research: overview and practical possibilities. 4th Inter-national Conference on ESP/EAP/EMI in the context of Higher Education Internationalization. MISIS, Russia, November 26, 2017, Proceedings. In Conference proceedings, MISIS.
- Smirnova, L. (2016). Language teacher development in integrating technology: mind the gap. 3rd international Conference on ESP/EAP/EMI in the context of Higher Education Internationalization. National University of Science and Technology ‘MISIS’, Russia, November 25, 2016, Proceedings. In Conference proceedings, MISIS.
- Smirnova L. (2020). Two forms of perezhivanie that work: integrating technology into a Russian university language classroom. The European Journal of Applied Linguistics and TEFL. 9 (2), 65–82.
Smirnova L. (2023).Teachers’ motives, agency and Vygotsky’s notion of perezhivanie. The European Journal of Applied Linguistics and TEFL. 12 (1), 173–189.
- PhD in Education, University of Manchester
- MA in Educational Technology and TESOL, University of Manchester
- DELTA, University of Cambridge
- CELTA, University of Cambridge
- Specialist Diploma in Programming, National Research Nuclear University (MEPhI)
Research groups and institutes
- Language Centre