Dr Vincent C Müller
- Position: University Academic Fellow
- Areas of expertise: Philosophy of Computing and Cognitive Science; Ethics of AI, Robotics, Data Analytics; Philosophy of Language; Philosophy of Mind; Realism & Anti-Realism; Hilary Putnam, Categories & Kinds; Vagueness
- Email: V.C.Muller@leeds.ac.uk
- Location: 17, Blenheim Terrace, LS2 9JT
- Website: Personal Website | Twitter | Googlescholar | Researchgate | ORCID
Vincent C. Müller studied philosophy with cognitive science, linguistics and history at the universities of Marburg, Hamburg, London and Oxford. After his PhD he started teaching full time at Anatolia College/ACT, Thessaloniki; He was also Stanley J. Seeger Fellow at Princeton University and James Martin Research Fellow at the University of Oxford. He is now Professor of philosophy at Technical University of Eindhoven (TU/e), University Fellow at the University of Leeds and Turing Fellow at the Alan Turing Institute, London - as well as President of the European Society for Cognitive Systems and Chair of the euRobotics topics group on 'ethical, legal and socio-economic issues'.
Müller's research focuses on theory and ethics of disruptive technologies, particularly artificial intelligence. He has published ca. 40 academic papers as well as 16 edited volumes on the philosophy of computing, philosophy of AI and cognitive science, philosophy of language, applied ethics, etc. (citations: h-14). He has organised ca. 25 conferences or workshops and presents about one paper per month, usually by invitation. Müller organizes a conference series on the Theory and Philosophy of AI and is principal investigator of a EU-funded project on "Inclusive Robotics for a Better Society" (INBOTS) and on the large platform project AI4EU. He has generated ca. 3.9 mil.€ research income for his institutions.
- AI4EU, H2020 ICT-26-2018 (2019-2021), 20M€ (141K€ at ULeeds) - Co-I
- INBOTS, H2020 ICT-28-2017-1 (2018-2020), 3M€ (112K€ at ULeeds) - PI
- DiDIY, H2020 ICT-31-644344 (2014-2017), 2M€ (230K€ at AC) - PI
- EUCogIII, FP7 INFSO-ICT-269981 (2012-2014), 2M€ (1.64M€ at AC) - Coordinator
- EUCogII, FP 7 INFSO-ICT-231281 (2009-2011), 1.8M€ (1.7M€ at AC) - Coordinator
My publications are listed on http://www.sophia.de/publications.htm, with a link to the publisher, a link to a pdf, and an abstract. They can also be downloaded from my pages on PhilPapers and ResearchGate.
Citations are on my Google Scholar page
Main web page is on www.sophia.de<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://ahc.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- A European AI On Demand Platform and Ecosystem (AI4EU)
- Inclusive Robotics for a better Society (INBOTS)
I supervise PhD and Masters' students on philosophy and ethics of information technology.
Research groups and institutes
- Ethics of Artificial Intelligence and Big Data