My doctorate is a Practice as Research led PhD that straddles drama, media and communication, politics, and education.
State of the nation: school theatre trips and youth political participation are in decline yet young people need questioning and debating skills now more than ever. How can we engage young people with current affairs when many consider Politics to be a dirty word?
My doctorate seeks to explore if live theatre performances can enrich the teaching of PHSCE British Values – the rule of law, democracy, individual liberty, tolerance and mutual respect - and help to translate these essential political concepts into basic political questions for 9-12 year olds (Years 5,6 and 7).The first piece of fieldwork is a show about Democracy for 9+ year olds, Rox Paper and The Scissors (in theatres and schools March 2019). Please see www.GttD.co.uk for more information.
I spent many years working in strategic marketing on a number of public and private sector projects before I changed careers and retrained as a theatre-maker. In addition, I am a former primary school governor, and have worked with Harrogate Youth Theatre since January 2017.
Areas of particular research interest include:
- Youth political participation
- School-theatre engagement
- Citizenship/PHSCE teaching
- Theatre programming
Research Groups and Institutes
- Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Marketing (FCIM)
- Member of the PCI’s Performance, Training, Preparation and Pedagogy Group
- MA Theatre Writing Directing & Performing
- MSc British Politics
- BSc (Hons) Politics
- Professional Postgraduate Diploma in Strategic Mareketing. Chartered Institute of Marketing