Dr Pablo Morales
- Position: Lecturer in Media and Communications
- Areas of expertise: International communication; journalism; global media; international broadcasting; soft power; media imperialism; public diplomacy; China; Latin America; Global South
- Email: P.S.Morales@leeds.ac.uk
- Location: G.23a Clothworkers Building North
- Website: LinkedIn | Googlescholar | ORCID
I hold a PhD in Media Studies from the Communication and Media Research Institute at the University of Westminster. My doctoral research discussed the reception of international news channels in Hispanic Latin America and the audiences’ response to the soft power endeavours of China, Russia and Iran.
Part of the findings of my research have featured on Westminster Papers in Communication and Culture. I am currently working on a new project looking at how collaborations by news channels based in the Global South are challenging the hegemonic narratives spread by Western mainstream media.
After obtaining a Master’s degree from Zhejiang University, I worked as a journalist and translator for China Radio International and People’s Daily Online in Beijing. Prior to joining the University of Leeds, I was a Visiting Lecturer at the University of Westminster, Associate Lecturer at the London College of Communication at the University of the Arts in London, and Lecturer at Huanghuai University in China.
- PL Media Industries
My research interests are in global media and public diplomacy, with a particular focus on China and Latin America.<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://ahc.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- PhD Media Studies
- MA Journalism
- BA Social Communication
- BA Spanish
I lead the following BA and MA modules:
- Mobile Media
- Media and Communication Theory
- International Communication