Professor Jay Blumler
- Position: Emeritus Professor of Public Communication
- Areas of expertise: politics and media relations; comparative analysis of political communication systems; longitudinal analysis of journalism and politics; public service broadcasting; uses and gratifications research.
- Email: J.G.Blumler@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 3909
- Location: 2.12 Clothworkers' Building North
- Emeritus Professor of Public Communication at the University of Leeds
- Emeritus Professor of Journalism at the University of Maryland
- Fellow and former president of the International Communication Association
- American Political Science Association lifetime achievement award
- Founding Editor of the European Journal of Communication.
My research focuses on politics and media, and the comparative analysis of political communication systems across space and time. I'm particularly interested in the role that the media plays in election campaigns and viewers' responses to televised leaders' debates; gratifications sought by audience members from mainstream and social media; values and issues of public service broadcasting; media contributions to problems of citizenship and democracy.<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://ahc.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- DPhil in Educational Sociology (University of Oxford)
- BA in Political Science (Antioch College)
- ECREA (European Communication Research and Education Association)
- ICA (International Communication Association)