Joey Lokting Chan
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Thesis title: Feeling empowered: Pro-woman promotional communication in Mainland China
- Supervisors: Professor Giorgia Aiello, Dr Leslie Meier
I am a PhD student in the School of Media and Communication at the University of Leeds. My supervisors are Prof Giorgia Aiello and Dr Leslie Meier.
My research focuses on the feelings and experiences of womanhood that ads centring on women’s empowerment communicate to female consumers who are putatively already empowered. The project is supported by the School's PhD Scholarship. Before this, I worked as research assistant in the Department of Sociology at the University of Hong Kong in 2016–2017, on projects including Dr Tommy Tse’s and Dr Anne Peirson-Smith’s research on cultural and creative workers in Hong Kong, and Dr Denise Tang’s on Hong Kong immigrants’ experiences in Taiwan and older lesbians.
- gender and feminisms
- visual communication
- promotional culture
- MA International Communication
- BBA Marketing and Accounting