The Leeds Arts and Humanities Research Institute’s Speculative Lunches scheme offers Faculty of Arts, Humanities and Cultures researchers the opportunity to discuss interdisciplinary research ideas at an early stage of formulation, with a view to establishing research collaborations around particular themes.
Each lunch is coordinated and led by at least two members of academic staff who are based in at least two different Schools in the Faculty of AHC.
Participation is open to all staff, postdoctoral fellows, and postgraduate students across all faculties in the University.
There is no expectation that a Speculative Lunch will lead directly to particular outcomes; they are first and foremost an opportunity for enjoyable discussion of research ideas in an informal setting. Nonetheless, they provide an opportunity to explore potential collaborations leading to funding bids, or to consider responses to research council themes. Coordinators are free to structure discussion as they wish and to set their own agenda.
This scheme is managed by the Deputy Director of LAHRI, David Higgins.
Each year it is anticipated that there will be approximately 6-10 Speculative Lunches that can take place anywhere between October and July.
A brief informal follow-up discussion will be held between the LAHRI Deputy Director and the event conveners shortly after the lunch has taken place to see if LAHRI or the wider Faculty can offer any further support to the research that was discussed at the Lunch.
How to apply to run a Speculative Lunch
If you are a member of the AHC Faculty and you are interested in running a Speculative lunch, please visit the SharePoint folder for information on how to apply, or email the LAHRI administrator for further details.
Events in the Current 2019-20 series
- Protective Shields and the Female Body: Boundaries of Privacy in the Public Domain (30 October 2019)
- The Digital as Method, Tool and Field (21 November 2019)
- Women’s Aid Federation of England Collection (5 December 2019)
- Staging futures: Memory, performance and justice in the African diaspora (10 December 2019)
- Leeds animation Workshop (6 February 2020)
Examples of previous Speculative Lunches
2018-19 Speculative Lunch series:
- Irish Studies in Leeds (21 February 2019)
- Body Parts and Fluids: Rethinking the Human in Bioeconomy (21 March 2019)
- The Herbert Read Archive: To Hell with Culture (4 April 2019)
2017-18 Speculative Lunch series:
- The Transcultural Fantastic (7 February 2018)
- Spatial Connections (1 March 2018)
- Audience of the Future (9 March 2018)
- Special Collections focus: Meet the Cecil Roth Collection et al (17 April 2018)
- Investigating cosy crime fiction and the Golden Age (27 April 2018)