Dr Paulo Pepe
- Position: Lecturer in Portuguese Studies
- Areas of expertise: Gender; Sexuality; Music; Performance; History; Culture; Race and Ethnic Studies; Colonialism; Post-Colonialism; Feminism; Portuguese-Speaking World; Literature; Social Media
- Email: P.Pepe@leeds.ac.uk
- Location: 2.32 Michael Sadler
Before joining the University of Leeds in 2018 as Lecturer in Portuguese Studies, I worked at Queen's University Belfast as Lecturer in Portuguese and Lusophone Studies. Before that, I worked as Teaching Fellow, Coordinator of Portuguese Studies and Director of Instituto Camões’ Cátedra Gil Vicente at the University of Birmingham.
Upon the completion of my BA in Portuguese and Lusophone Studies at the Universidade da Beira Interior, in Portugal (2008), I joined the MA programme in Spanish, Portuguese and Latin American Cultural Studies at Birkbeck College, University of London (2010). In 2012, I started my PhD at the University of Nottingham, which I completed in 2016.
My research interests bridge the shared concerns and histories of the Lusophone world, crossing Portugal, Portuguese-speaking African countries, and Brazil, with a particular focus on themes relating to identity, including gender, sex, and sexuality, race and ethnicity. My research is interdisciplinary by nature, bridging cultural studies, history of sexuality, queer theory, post-structuralism, media, performance, and visual arts, gender studies, and critical theory. The guiding research objective of my work is to examine how identities/bodies/communities use different platforms (social, cultural, political, and technological, such as music, performance, and social media) to expand and challenge normative understandings of identity.<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://ahc.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- PhD in Portuguese and Lusophone Studies
- MA in Spanish, Portuguese and Latin American Cultural Studies
- BA in Portuguese and Lusophone Studies
- ABIL -- Association of British and Irish Lusitanists
- ACIS -- Association for Contemporary Iberian Studies
I teach across all levels of our various undergraduate degrees in the Portuguese-speaking world, with a particular focus on culture (music and performance, film, literature, social media, urban spaces gender and sexuality). I also teach Portuguese language at all levels.