Professor Alan O'Leary
- Position: Professor of Film and Cultural Studies
- Areas of expertise: film; cultural studies; videographic criticism; Italian cinema; cinema and terrorism; cinema and history; popular cinema; the trivial
- Email: A.OLeary@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 3633
- Location: 1.48 Michael Sadler Building
- Website: 'Parameters and Practice' (practice as research project) | Italian Film and History project | Twitter | Researchgate | ORCID
My first degree was a BA Art & Social Context from Dartington College of Arts and following this I worked in my hometown of Cork as a stage designer. I later studied Italian and English at Trinity College, Dublin, before going on to study for an MPhil in European Literature and then a PhD at Cambridge (Wolfson College). I started at Leeds as a lecturer in Italian in 2005 and have since taught courses at the University of Mumbai and presented my work in many universities around the world. I am spending the academic year 2018/19 as a Guest Professor at Aarhus University.
I have authored or co-edited several books and published many articles on Italian and other cinemas. My work has focused especially on terrorism in Italian cinema (the topic of my PhD), questions of pleasure, cultural distinction and the popular, and I has been developing an ambitious project on film and history for several years, involving arts organisations from Leeds and Yorkshire, and co-investigators from three countries.
I have collaborated with tenor Dan Norman as part of the Opera North/University of Leeds DARE partnership and recently began making videographic criticism (videoessays about film) following attendance at a workshop devoted to the practice held at Middlebury College, USA, in June 2018.
I have recently published a short book on the 1966 film The Battle of Algiers and am working on a series of videoessays on cinema and history. I am also working on a practice as research 'meta-project' with my partner, dance artist Marie Hallager Andersen, designed to lay the groundwork for a hybrid mode of artistic/academic work.<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://ahc.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- Parameters & Practice: A Year of Tasks for Creative Collaboration
- What is History on Film? The Case of Italian Cinema 1911-2010
Research groups and institutes
- Centre for World Cinemas and Digital Cultures
- Art practice as research