Dr Olena (Elena) Gundarina
- Position: Lecturer in English for Academic Purposes
- Areas of expertise: Language Education, Language Learning Motivation, English as an Additional Language, Personality Development, Experiences post-migration
- Email: O.Gundarina@leeds.ac.uk
- Location: Level 3 Parkinson Building
- Website: Scopus ID | Academia.edu | Twitter | LinkedIn | Googlescholar | Researchgate | ORCID | White Rose
I joined the University of Leeds in 2019 as a Lecturer in English for Academic Purposes (EAP).
I have recently obtained my PhD from the University of Leeds, School of Education. My PhD thesis is entitled: The experiences and personality development of Russian-speaking migrant pupils in English primary schools. Funder: School of Education International Research Scholarship, University of Leeds. Before undertaking my PhD, I worked for three years as an English and Russian Languages Instructor in Zhejiang Yuexiu University of Foreign Languages.
From September 2018 until June 2019 I was a Research Assistant for the project: ‘Fostering Effective Parent-practitioner Partnerships in Character Education’ PI: Dr Shirley-Anne Paul. Funder: Leeds Social Sciences Impact Acceleration Account in association with the ESRC, School of Education, University of Leeds.
My PhD thesis was awarded the Early Career Publishing Prize which supports authors to publish an open access monograph.
- Teaching and Scholarship
My research is focussed on the experiences and personality development of migrant language learners in a context of immersion (submersion) with a special interest in language learning motivation and social behaviour and relationships post-migration.
I am also engaged in a collaborative multi-method arts-informed research into creativity in EAP 18-months project.<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://ahc.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- PhD (Editorial corrections) Language Education
- MA (Distinction) English Philology, Teaching English and Literature
- BA (First Class) English Philology, Teaching English and Literature
- TESOL certificate (Grade A)
- Associate Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (AFHEA)
Research groups and institutes
- Language Centre