Dr. Ria Kapoor
- Position: Teaching Fellow in South Asian History
- Areas of expertise: South Asia; Refugees; Human Rights; Self-Determination.
- Email: R.Kapoor@leeds.ac.uk
I receieved my D.Phil in History from the University of Oxford in 2019. My thesis explored whether an alternative conception of the the refugee regime – rather than the one centred on the UNHCR – exists in India, and writes the postcolony into histories of human rights and refugee-related humanitarianism. It is also a meditation on citizenship in the self-determined postcolonial state.
I am interested in how ideas and practices in what we call the Global South transform the wider notion of the refugee, and related concerns of rights and entitlements.<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://ahc.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- D.Phil in History, University of Oxford
- Master in International History, Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies
- B.A. (Hons) History, University of Delhi
- Member of Royal Historical Society