Dr. Karen Tejedor Bowen
- Position: Lecturer in Fashion Marketing and Brand Comms
- Areas of expertise: Consumer behaviour; wellbeing; health; virtuous behaviours; exercise / physical activity; motivation; social comparison; social; fashion marketing; brand management; marketing communications.
- Email: K.TejedorBowen@leeds.ac.uk
- Website: LinkedIn | Googlescholar | Researchgate | ORCID
After my MSc in International Marketing Management, I went back to my career in-industry, gathering a total of 8 years’ experience in international brand management, creative marketing strategy, marketing communications and retail design. I used my experience and extensive work with global sports brands as inspiration for my PhD topic: “Does the frog-pond effect always hold? How social comparison affects exercise performance and happiness”. My research aims to gain a better understanding of how to enhance consumer wellbeing by combining social comparison and motivation theories, with the aim of helping people better integrate exercise into their lifestyle and therefore increase wellbeing.
I actively collaborate with different public institutions and private organisations, both national and global, on different research projects and field studies.
My current research focuses on consumer behaviour, more specifically in the areas of wellbeing, health, physical activity, motivation development, social groups and group behaviours, virtuous behaviours, and vice vs. virtue.
I am also interested in expanding my research into the areas of fashion and retail, and how both brands, consumers and institutions can collaborate to enhance wellbeing outcomes and sustainability, both in digital and physical spaces.<h4>Research projects</h4> <p>Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all <a href="https://ahc.leeds.ac.uk/dir/research-projects">research projects</a> allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.</p>
- PhD in Marketing (University of Leeds, UK)
- MSc in International Marketing Management (University of Leeds, UK)
- Cert. DMP Digital and Direct Marketing (Institute of Direct Marketing, UK)
- BA in Advertising and Public Relations (Universidad Europea de Madrid, Spain)
I teach in the Fashion Marketing BA, with a particular focus on marketing principles in first year, and for the Fashion Marketing Major Project in final year.